Monday, April 18, 2011

PERSONAL PROTECTION

My personal toolkit has been updated from my post of 2010 There have not been many changes, but just a quick recap. I now carry tools in two spots.

JERSEY TOOLS (ON THE BODY)

I carry the body tools in a small neoprene bag which I stick in the jersey pocket, while the Scott minipump also goes into the jersey pocket. The following tools are kept in the bag:
-Spare Plugs
-Bomb & Attachment
-Glue
-Derailler cable
-Zip ties
-Stans 2 oz bottle
-Lezyne Multi Tool
-Money (R100 note can be used as a gator)
-Continental Tyre Lever
-Park Tyre Boot
-Toughie tyre boot
-Park Glueless patches
-No Tubes valve remover
-Stans Valve core
-Stans Valve stem
-Scott Derailler Hanger bracket
-Leatherman mini knife

On shorter rides I drop the Stans, leatherman and hanger bracket to save a bit of weight. However, most rides I simply go with what I have and that normally means all of the above, less the Stans, which is a pain to carrry around.

-Scott Mini pump

ON THE BIKE
-Barplug: Tire tool & plug loaded in handlebar (see my post on this great tool)
-Tube

The derailler cable saved the event for us in the 2011 Cape Epic. Mike's freehub popped after 40km on Stage 2 and we used the derailler cable to tie the cassette to the spokes. The makeshift repair which turned the bike into a fixie, lasted for 70km!

The barplag is the most effective tool and I have used it on a number of occassions. Its simply the best trick around!

No comments:

Post a Comment