Tuesday, April 6, 2010

CAPE EPIC 2010: DAY 7


A shorter stage, but, still lots of climbing and single track. Oak Valley is a seriously nice wine estate and the wine maker, Pieter De Villiers having built about 26km of trails. Stitched together with the mtb trails on Lebanon, this made for some awesome single track riding. It also provided my heart stopping moment of the Epic. A Spanish rider tried to cut past me of some single track and hit a pine tree head first with a resounding thump. I did not expect him to get up and was relieved to see that he was still breathing, and after a few minutes groaning. We saw him again at the finish and I was amazed to see that he was none the worse.

The day ended with our best placing, 60th on GC and 9th in Masters. Though I was getting weaker, with my core taking a beating from the Aluminium hard tail, as a team, we were getting stronger by the day.

The hard work was over and we celebrated with some tasting of the Oak valley wares. Fantastic wines and we ordered quite a few cases between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment